Thursday, May 1, 2008

Vacation!

So after settlement on the townhouse on April 30th, I went home to pack for our upcoming trip to Wilmington, NC while Bryce went to the bank to deposit a very large check (after threatening to buy a Ferrari).

Since we were driving and had to get up at 3am, I packed very quickly and forgot *cough* a few things *sheepish*

3am comes sooner than I'd like and I hit the snooze button
3:10am comes ...and goes
3:25am and we finally get our butts out of bed.
4am - on the road
5am - I remember everything I forgot to pack
5:03 - Bryce tells me everything will be ok while I become a worrywart
5:30 - Breakfast! Who knew McDonalds still uses styrofoam to cover their platters? I sure didn't.
5:35 - use styrofoam plate to block headlights shining in Bryce's eyes from the side mirrors. I am ingenious!
6am-10am - lots of trees, pavement and white dashed lines. Nice bathroom at the North Carolina rest stop and I finally learn the the palm tree/cresent moon decal I see on cars stands for the state of NC and is not some Corona advert.


10:30m we arrive and check in at the Battleship (let me mention here that we were in down here for a WWII Battleship NC reunion for Bryce's Granddad who served on the ship from 1941-1946). We were tired so we went to the hotel where I had to finish up some work I had brought along and Bryce took a nap. Then we went shopping for the things I had forgotten and got a haircut before heading out to the first auction and banquet of the reunion.




The banquet was great! I met a woman who works with my Dad (small world) and we got tix to a riverboat cruise the next night. Food was Ah-MAY-zing and I flirted with a man I call Fredthesailor. Yes I called him that everytime I saw him. :)

The next few days were filled with breakfasts, ship tours, a riverboat dinner cruise and fireworks unlike any I have EVER seen before - they were AWESOME

The main reason that so many veterans showed up to this particular reunion was the commissioning we attended on Saturday. There hadn't been another ship called the USS North Carolina since WWII but on Saturday the torch was being passed to a brand spanking new attack submarine.

5000 people lined the dock to see this event and I cried when I saw the vets I had come to know over the last couple of years stand with pride when they were recognized and applauded by the entire audience.






The final night ended with another banquet and the next morning we were off to Florida!

(Below is Granddad and Miss Juanita)




No comments: